Sunday, June 17, 2012

Women Fly Fishers Have the Potential to Dig The Industry Out of the Red

More and More Woman are Picking up Fly Fishing. Photo By: Louis Cahill

Women Fly Fishers Have the Potential to Dig The Industry Out of the Red

By Kent Klewein
Gink & Gasoline Blog
June, 11, 2012

Who says the sport fly fishing is shrinking?

Ok, maybe as a whole it is, but the last couple of years, women fly fishers have been on a steady rise, and just about everyone seems to be taking notice of the phenomenon. The past eleven years, I spent very little time on the water guiding female anglers. On occasion, I’d book a husband and wife trip, but the brunt of my guiding in the sport was male dominated. The past year and a half though, I’ve noticed a substantial shift in my client demographics, with women increasingly making up more of the pie. I’m guiding many more married couples and I’m even booking quite a few trips from solo female’s, who are taking the initiative to go out and learn how to fly fish on their own. Noticing this change in my day to day guide business, I couldn’t help to think, this could be our golden ticket to turning around the shrinking industry, and finally have a good chance at putting fly fishing back in the green (growing sport).

No comments: