Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tales of inspiration often steal We Day spotlight from celebrities (Calgary)

 We Day speakers Spencer West and Molly Burke, with her dog Gypsy, say they get as much out of acting as speakers at the inspirational event as the young people in the audience.
Photograph by: Stuart Gradon , Calgary Herald


Tales of inspiration often steal We Day spotlight from celebrities (Calgary)

By Valerie Fortney,
Calgary Herald
October 24, 2012

At her first We Day event, Molly Burke found herself trembling from head to toe.

At that moment, an older gentleman came to her rescue. He put his arm around her, said some words of encouragement and handed her a rosary.

“He asked me if I was nervous and I said, ‘a little, but excited too,’” says the 18-year-old from Oakville, Ont., who is blind. “He gave me a hug, then put a rosary in my hand and said, ‘When you go on stage, put this in your pocket. It’ll bring you good fortune.”

As the diminutive, adorable teen tells me this story, I too feel the urge to put my arms around her, to protect her from the harshness of life.

In this case, however, appearances are more than a little deceiving. That pep talk from last year was before Burke stepped on to a stage to speak to a crowd of 20,000. And that reassuring older man? Well, that was none other than Martin Sheen, the legendary film star and activist.

Read more here:

We Day  
Free The Children

No comments: