Saturday, July 5, 2014

Bow River Fishing Report - Friday July 04 2014

Photo, courtesy Steve S.

Glenmore Trail to Fish Creek Park

"Thanks to Steve S. for this fishing report and photos!"

The first trout of the day was a fine healthy Brown. All right! Always good to see the Browns.

Turned out I had just the one chance to net him as the hook came free just as soon as the net was under him, close to the shoreline, and my net stroke was true.

He took a #16 copper john, the bottom fly on a two nymph rig, and I can't remember if I checked the hook closely or not as I would normally. Sure wish I did.

A very few casts later came the most exciting, inspirational, fun moment of the day. I knew straight away that it was a Rainbow trout that took the same fly. A big one.

Photo, courtesy Steve S.

The Brown stayed down but the rainbow made one run and then took to the air. Jumped and then seemed to skid upriver five meters along the water with only its tail touching the surface.

Man, wish I could walk on the water like that! Well, only sometimes.

He took one more quick run, jumped again, and then my line went slack. When I looked at the fly it was bent. Not sure if it was the Brown or the Rainbow that did it! Must have been the Rainbow.

Lost another nice Rainbow further downstream. A black leech streamer in the fast water was effective when the fish weren't taking nymphs in the slower water.

Four different flys took fish. A prince's nymph and a stonefly were the other two.

Lots of pelicans on the river. A cormorant flew upriver close over the water. A large number of crows, must have been forty, circled together just over the nearby cottonwood trees.

A long spring run off this year kept me off of the river and I was tired out I noticed, only though, when I arrived home. A good tired!

- Steve S.

No comments: