Thursday, July 7, 2011

A fifteen minute brown

Michelle chatting with shuttle clients yesterday.  Photo: Bow River Shuttles

Being a little near sighted I couldn't tell for sure if the fish splashing the surface half way through my backing was a brown or a rainbow, only that it was an especially big fish. It hit my fly and then the fast water and struck off downstream.

The bushes, normally high on the bank, were low in the water and the brown, for that's what I decided it must be, fought in close to the bank endeavoring to enwrap the line. Clever.

From opposite ends we each pulled on the line and then indifferently, he shook free. A brown for sure. A fifteen minute brown.

I was rewarded with a fine rainbow later in the day which also went into my backing and I'm not sure who was more exhausted when she made the net. It must have appeared to be a good fight to the passing firemen boat as they circled and pulled in close, smiling, to watch the catch. I’ve never seen them do that before.

They too, may be, have been lamenting the long start to the fishing this year. Unseasonably high water still but there was two foot of clarity to work with and the fish were on again off again biting.

I slung twinned streamers for a while just for the exercise as a nymphed copper john was catching the fish. Green and brown two tailed mayflies were the hatches.

It was a great sunny day and for me, marked the beginning of summer.

The Bow River
Glenmore Trail/Graves Landing to 22X/Fish Creek Park
Wednesday July 06 2011

THANKS TO STEVE S. FOR THIS VERY FINE FISHING REPORT!

No comments: