Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Anticipation

Photo: courtesy Paul Harps Photograhpy

Anticipation

By Paul Harps
Chinook Waters Fly Fishing Club
Lethbridge, AB

Last year, or a week or two ago, I was headed down the road towards the river to do a little Winter Solstice fishing. I was listening to Frank Turner and just excited to get to the river. I started to think as I drove along, which is often a mistake for me.

I was happy... ecstatic almost. The drive across the rolling hills with the rising sun shining on the mountains in the distance. The wide open sky, horizon to horizon without a cloud. A box of freshly tied flies, a cleaned line, and a poorly patched pair of waders in the back of the truck.

I realized I didn't even have to fish. The actual act of going fishing seemed to be better than what I expected to feel fishing. I thought about this and past trips - for me, the best moment of fishing is right before a fish hits - the anticipation of getting a fish. It's the walk down to the river or the drive along that familiar road that leads to the take-out. It's standing on the bank choosing the lucky fly.


NOTE: Make sure that you click on ‘photo of the day’, top right of the original article, to see photos that Paul took of the lynx.

No comments: